Ask the experts....

Working on establishing three points of engagement using Suparinpei kata
Apart from my normal work, I'm sometimes asked to contribute to magazines as an 'expert'. It's a bit embarrassing for me when this happens as I consider myself a student of karate not an expert. Oh, I realize many of you experts reading this weren't even born in 1974 when I started practicing karate, but still, it's a little uncomfortable (for me) to be put in such a situation. It's not simply modesty or humility on my part, oh no; it's the people I know who are so much better than me that makes me feel inadequate wearing the hat marked 'expert'.

So anyway, it seems my thinking on this is in the minority. From Facebook to YouTube, Twitter to Instagram, the internet is overflowing with opinions and judgments from all manner of sources. Rather predictably, given the kind of folk who are attracted to karate these days,the majority of sources are either ill informed, or just plain stupid. I'd like to think it was the first of these conditions that give rise to the diatribe, but I tend to think it's the second. Opinions are fine, but only when they are based on something more substantial than say...an opinion!

You guys....really, get over yourselves!


Share this

Related Posts

Previous
Next Post »